top of page
Search
  • Writer's pictureSophie Bell

Can dogs eat grapes?

Updated: Oct 12, 2023


can dogs eat grapes

Such a common question asked by dog owners is... can my dog eats grapes? Are the rumours true that they are dangerous for our furry friends or is it a myth?

Well, lets set the facts straight.

 

Getting straight to the point, no, dogs should never eat grapes as they can be lethal, the same can be said for raisin and sultanas.

Eating just one grape can lead to a dog developing renal failure and can potentially be fatal. They can be highly toxic to SOME dogs so make sure to keep them well away from your pet. Yes there are dogs who have eaten lots of grapes, with no consequences. But for others this can not be said. It is a bit like a Russian roulette. Who will get sick and who won't? Many theories have been suggested...

Also avoid raisins, which are dried grapes. If you've got small children who like to eat small boxes of raisins watch out for any falling on the floor if you have a dog in the house.

If your dog does eat a grape, raisins, or sultana's, yes just the one, you may feel pretty peeved when you vet suggests treatment. But the truth is, we just do not know who will be affected, so it is best not to leave it to chance.

Grape and raisin toxicity in dogs can lead to kidney failure in severe cases so if your pet has eaten any amount you should contact your vet for advice.


dogs should not eat raisins

It is not known what causes grapes to be so toxic to dogs and some dogs appear to not react as severely as others. Dogs have been known to eat plenty of grapes and not been affected where others have eaten just one and had fatal consequences. Genetics may play a role, and also the freshness of the food item.

Some of the symptoms of toxicity include weakness, loss of appetite, increased thirst, initial increase in urination, leading to very little, and vomiting and/or diarrhoea.

Remember just one grape can kill a dog so act fast if your dog has ingested any amount.

If you are worried your dog may have eaten grapes or raisins or if you see any signs of toxicity you should contact you vet immediately. The faster you act the more chance your dog has at surviving.


You can also contact the the Animal Poison Line to get advice.




 
I remember picking up the phone in the early morning after a long nightshift. The lady on the phone was so upset, her dog had eaten chocolate the night before. She had used the choctox calculator on google and believed it not to be a toxic dose. She was right, it was not. So why was her dog so unwell? Well it was fruit and nut chocolate and contained raisins. That was the issue right now. A week on intravenous fluids, alongside other treatments, and he left the hospital, others do not.
Dr Sophie
 
If you would like to learn more about things that can be toxic to dogs and also lots of helpful hints, tips and preventative measures when it comes to looking after your dogs health, why not sign up for the Animal Love online canine health and first aid course.
Just £35, a video based course presented by vet Dr Sophie Bell, you can log in and out, taking the course in your own time. The course includes downloadable notes for future reference and quizzes to test your new knowledge, along with a posted certificate when you have finished. It doesn't replace your vet but taking the course could help to save your dogs life. You can always follow Dr Sophie on Facebook and ask questions ongoing.



Animal Love logo
Animal Love Pet First Aid

52 views0 comments

Comentarios


bottom of page